Never Give Up!!! Seven Secrets to Achieve Success
By Dr. Winifred Bragg – October 2019
Never Give Up!!!!
We’ve all heard those words before, but do we believe them?
As a physician who specializes in treating patients with spinal and orthopedic pain, I often tell my patients—Never give up.
Like many of you, I enjoyed watching the World Series.
But what can we learn from a game of baseball?
During several games of the World Series, the Washington Nationals were behind with two outs in the ending and they won the game. This was unheard of—Washington went from desperate to destined. Ultimately, they became the World Series Champs.
I say to each of you—No matter what you are going through—Never give up! Believe and You Can Achieve! And your dreams can come true!
Even if you don’t like baseball, from this series, we all can learn vital success principles:
- The importance of maintaining a positive attitude – When the Nationals were down in the sixth game of the World Series, it would have been easy for them to complain when it appeared the empire made a “judgement call” that could have cost them the championship. Instead they focused on their next time at bat. Real champions dig deep and continue with the task at hand, focusing on the outcome. Like the Nationals we can’t allow circumstances to make us the victim. We must strive to become the victor.
- The Importance of continuing to improve yourself – When faced with a problem, one needs to analyze their strengths and weaknesses and determine strategies for improving their situation. So, it was in this game, the Nationals continually re-strategized and won the World Series.
- Learn to Never Give Up! – When the opportunities to score were diminishing rapidly, the Nationals intensity increased with each passing moment. When we are faced with a deadline, we must use every moment to complete our task. This means our intensity must also increase to reach our deadline.
- There is No “I” in Team – Remember, there is no “I” in team (learn to use your support). Often when we have a problem, we see ourselves as the only means of solving it. Yet, we need to realize that everyone has a different skill set. If we take the time to learn the strengths of others around us, we can use those strengths and operate as a team to accomplish our goals.
- Stay Committed – Although the Nationals team was comprised of older players than the Astros, they did not allow the Astros to get them down. They stayed focused on their goals. From them, we can learn, to stay committed to our goals. Age doesn’t matter.
- Visualize the goal – It is always important to define your goal. The Nationals knew their goal was to win the World Series. Defining your goal keeps you on track and allows you to see that an end is in sight.
- Learn from your mistakes – The Nationals had never won a World Series. They learned from their mistakes and won.
Although the World Series is over, the principles that we can apply from this hard-fought series can help us achieve our goals in our careers and personal lives.
A winning attitude is critical when competing for business, in the classroom, and in personal relationships.
People who attain success learn to forget the failures of the past and to use them as steppingstones. That’s why I believe in order to overcome any adversity, it takes PAIN(sm)—Positive Attitude, Interest in Improving self and Never giving up.
The next time you feel as though the odds are against you, please apply these success principles and know that you too, can be successful.
Copyright (c) 2019 by Winifred Bragg, MD. All Rights Reserved.
To book Dr. Winifred Bragg for a speaking engagement or to obtain more information, contact her office at (757) 567-2467 or by email.